BariatricTV ForumMedical StuffComplicationsISSUES!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ISSUES!  (Read 1331 times)
Seht
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: January 22, 2008
Surgery Type: RnY

« on: June 24, 2010, 08:26:39 AM »

So I'm 2 1/2 years post surgery and I'm still having issues with dizziness/lightheaded/and blood sugars.

It seems that since the surgery I have developed all of these issues.  None of which were present prior to the surgery.

It seems to be worse during the evening hours.  I get orthostatic hypotension.  It almost never happens during the day, but god forbid I stand up too quickly during the evening hours.  I am usually able to catch myself by grabbing a wall or counter top, but I have fallen a couple times.  I spoke to the doctors about this and they had no answer for me other than to make sure I am drinking enough fluids.

I also have had new onset of low blood sugars.  I knew that was what was happening from my time working as a Paramedic, so I asked the doctor for a Glucometer, Testing strips and Lancets.  Now when I feel like my blood sugar is low, I have been testing it to confirm.  Every time I get the feeling, it has been confirmed by a low reading on the glucometer.  down in the 40's.

Last night was the first time I experienced this while working out.  And of course I didn't have the glucometer with me at the gym.  I got lightheaded it almost felt like I had a slight alcohol buzz going on.  You know not quite drunk, but you have had enough to drink that you know you shouldn't drive.  That is how my head felt, kind of fuzzy.  I also started to get the shakes and I started sweating.  Not the workout kind of sweat but that whole body sweat from low blood sugar.  I made it over to the front counter and bought a "protein bar"  Yeah Protein and Sugar.  Well it fixed the shakes and the sweats, but I knew with the amount of sugar in it I was pushing the chances of dumping.  Luckily that didn't happen, but it didn't clear up the fuzzy head feeling.  That sensation stayed with me until I managed to go to sleep.

Of course by the time I got home, my blood sugar had returned to normal after powering down that (OMG 400 calorie protein bar)  It was all they had, and I didn't read the label until after I had eaten the whole thing.  I'd rather blow my diet or dump than to experience that low blood sugar.  It's the lesser of two evils IMO

Anyhow not sure there is a real point to this other than looking to see if anyone else experiences any of these issues, what their doctors may have said, what you do to keep it under control etc.

Scott

"The one thing I want to leave my children is an honorable name." "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."
  T. Roosevelt April 10, 1899
kristi-bisti
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: Nov 18, 2009
Surgery Type: Lap RNY

Feeling Great!

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 10:34:20 AM »

I'm only 7 months out, but I have started to get dizzy when bending over or standing.  I'm assuming it's low blood pressure, but I guess it could be low sugar too.  I admit my diet isn't that clean, so I'd go with the pressure.

So, there is nothing medical to help the orthostatic low pressure? 

Was there someone else on the forum who mentioned drinking G2 and that helping with blood pressure?  MAybe adding a bit of salt to supper to keep you from falling in the evening?

Sorry, Scott, I"m not more helpful.

Seht
Grand Poohbah of Freaks

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 10:48:12 AM »

The doctor said drink more fluid, which is fine since I would rather not take more medications.
But...... I'm not sure that it is working.

"The one thing I want to leave my children is an honorable name." "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."
kristi-bisti
Grand Poohbah of Freaks

Feeling Great!

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 10:53:15 AM »

I'm just thinking more along the line of "electrolytes" rather than just plain water.  MMMM... a salty banana for dessert!  LOL

trimoon
Don't S#@!$ The Bed, Tim!
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 5/31/2010
Surgery Type: RNY

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 11:34:19 AM »

I am going to be mature this time and NOT make a joke about salty bananas.

Beth

kristi-bisti
Grand Poohbah of Freaks

Feeling Great!

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 05:22:23 PM »

thanks Beth.  I'm sure it was hard.

trimoon
Don't S#@!$ The Bed, Tim!
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 5/31/2010
Surgery Type: RNY

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 06:57:15 PM »

hehehe, you said hard....

Beth

T2Nashville
Queen of the Kitchen Freak
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: October 13, 2008
Surgery Type: VSG

Photo by Candy

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 06:34:54 AM »

Beavis and Butthead are talking in my head...YIKES!

"The body vs. the mind - now THAT'S a fight!" Hetty from NCIS: Los Angeles

MacMadame
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 09/24/08
Surgery Type: VSG

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 06:18:05 PM »

Do you think maybe you have reactive hypoglycemia? I've read that's a possible side-effect of any surgery that removes the pylorus valve.
Seht
Grand Poohbah of Freaks

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 01:28:09 PM »

He he he don't make me talk about salty bananas  Grin

Or pickles

jbridgetfisher
Fresh Freak
Surgery Date: 2-9-2004
Surgery Type: RNY GBS
From:: Born and raised in San Diego, moved to Lancaster PA 1/08

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 05:18:41 AM »

Hi Scott. I am new to this forum but a long term post op, 6 and half years. I suffered from much of what you are experiencing as well as several of my friends. What I did was change to eating every 4 hours and it works for me. Another friend of mine keeps raisins on hand for when she begins an episode. (I keep raisins at home now too) I hope that helps ya.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: