BariatricTV ForumMedical StuffComplicationsHernias??
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hernias??  (Read 956 times)
Binda
Super Freak
Surgery Date: January 3, 2011
Surgery Type: RNY

I am enough

« on: January 14, 2011, 07:40:37 PM »

I could have swore I posted here already but due to really good drugs I don't know if I posted here or wherever..

When I had my RNY almost 2 weeks ago - in the nights following I was pulling myself up to a sitting position using the bedside rails on my left side...and felt a ripping burning tearing omg omg omg pain in my abdomen that just lit my brain up on fire from pain. It was right under the biggest incision for the lap on my RNY. My pain started spiking in that area and it became an almost constant 7-10 on the pain scale. I pointed it out but since there were no bulges, bleeding or infections going on it was pretty much a pat on the shoulder and "dear dear, it will get better in time..."

Few days after I get home I notice this tennis ball, well, a HALF a tennis ball like a little shelf sticking out. I called and they got me in the next day. One look at it and they scheduled an emergency CT scan with contrast. On the paperwork it said "to rule out incisional hernia"

The attending surgeon did say that if it were bowels that there would be other issues, like nausea and vomiting and fever.

CT was yesterday and my 2 week followup with the RNY surgeon is on Monday, the tennis ball now feels like an alien leg, so much that I have called him Herman the hotdog (an alien leg shaped like a hot dog)

Has anyone ever had a hernia? from surgery? is the fix easier than RNY or sleeve etc?

I just want it fixed but I also want it to be an easy fast fix!!!

Thanks
Binda

Seek Peace
kristi-bisti
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: Nov 18, 2009
Surgery Type: Lap RNY

Feeling Great!

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:19:05 PM »

Wow.  That sounds really horrible!  How is the pain?  I would imagine the CT didn't show much danger - otherwise they would have called, right!?!?!?

I didn't have anything like that, but I do remember my left side being incredibly sore and feeling strange pulling as I moved around.

My best wishes to you!

Burnett
MC Burnett - the BTV Gangsta - Yo
Royal Freakness
Surgery Date: 1/11/2010

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 10:15:57 PM »

I had an incisional hernia in April. Bear in mind that I had an open RNY last January so my 3 1/2 inch incision opened completely. I believe it was because I got very constipated and tried to "force" some issues. Anyway, my surgeon told me the reason hernias are painful is because they protrude and then get caught and don't want to go back in. I had no pain and he explained that because the opening was so large, my "innards" could pass in and out with no problem. I actually didn't have the repair done until June.  My surgeon stitched up the abdominal wall and then attached a mesh over the repair to add strength to the area.

The fix was definitely easier than my RNY but you must be careful after the repair to not strain again as your incision spot will be weakened. Hope this helps.

Burnett

Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour!
Binda
Super Freak
Surgery Date: January 3, 2011

I am enough

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »

Thank you Burnett

Seek Peace
susi1662
Jr. Freak
Surgery Date: 2/14/11

I'm a happy camper!

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 03:58:26 PM »

Wow, I am having about the same thing! I am one month out of having my RNY. When I got home, I noticed the my large incision on the left side was leaking a lot if fluid, so I went to see my surgeon, and he told me that I had a seroma, and he was going to drain it. He took out a small amount of fluid, and soon after the incision healed up and stopped leaking. I thought that was the end of it. At my two week post op, the doc said that I still had a bit of seroma there. But that would go away. I had to see my pcp, and she said the same, so I assumed everything was ok.
Then, last week, I noticed a small lump above the incision. By last Friday, it had grown and now the lump was visible, and was hurting a little, not too much, but it was bother some. By today the lump was even bigger and hard to the touch, so off to the doctor I go again. He did an ultrasound, and saw some bowel and a small pocket of fluid. He said that maybe it's just a large hematoma, so he numbs up the area (numb my a$$!) and sticks in another needle see if he can get anything out. He says, it just blood in here, and he shows me the syringe, which has about two drops of blood in it. But, just to rule out one or the other, he is ordering a CT scan, also to look for a possible incisional hernia, so they are trying to schedule it for tomorrow if possible, and I go back in two weeks to go over the results.
What's crazy though, is that now this thing hurts like a mother! I guess it's from all the prodding and poking and needles. I took some pain medicine, and have an ice pack on it now.
Anyway, it's weird that I came to post about it, and the first thing I see is your post! Keep us informed, i' curious to know what the results of you CT scan are, and what they are going to do about it.
Take care and I hope that everything works out for you!

I'm not short, I'm fun-sized!
susi1662
Jr. Freak
Surgery Date: 2/14/11

I'm a happy camper!

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 04:02:22 PM »

Lol, I just realized that you posted this back in January! How did everything turn out?

I'm not short, I'm fun-sized!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: