BariatricTV ForumMedical StuffComplicationsHematoma or hernia?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hematoma or hernia?  (Read 2015 times)
susi1662
Jr. Freak
Surgery Date: 2/14/11
Surgery Type: Lap RNY

I'm a happy camper!

« on: March 17, 2011, 09:03:24 PM »

I have a lump above the large incision on my left side. This is the inscison that had a seroma after surgery, that had to be drained.
Anyway, the doc drained it, and though it was still draining a while after this; it finally stopped and the incision healed up nicely. Now, like I said before, I have a huge lump there, the doc is sending me to have a CT scan done, to rule out one or another,
I'm kinda scared, and nervous because my insurance will charge me another 5000 copy like they did for my surgery. I just don't have the money to pay that! So I am hoping for it to be a hematoma so it will just resolve itself.
Have anyone of you had a large hematoma? What was it like? Did it hurt? Did it take long time to liquify and be absorbed by your body?
I've already read the post by the Gil just out of incisional hernia surgery, it scared the piss outta me!

I'm not short, I'm fun-sized!
Indykitty
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 12/15/2008
Surgery Type: RNY

I'm going to be a diamond, some day...

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 06:03:24 AM »

My mother had a hematoma on her breast after a lump was removed. It was very hard, swollen, sore and took months to dissipate.  My best to you! Hope it's the lesser of the evils.   Kiss

Keilah (sounds like Sheila)<br /><br />High 322, Low so far 162.8<br /><br />

Keilah Kay (Sells) Folkertsma on Facebook
susi1662
Jr. Freak

I'm a happy camper!

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 10:40:12 PM »

Tomorrow is my CT scan to see if they can figure out what this lump on my incision is. I'm not looking forward to drinking that "berry smoothie" barium crap.
I won't know the results until the 30th, when I go back to see my surgeon, unless they find something horrible, awful there.
I'm a bit scared! Please hope for a hematoma!

Jabba2Halle
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 3/3/11
Surgery Type: VSG

Jabba no more.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 10:00:08 AM »

Have anyone of you had a large hematoma? What was it like? Did it hurt? Did it take long time to liquify and be absorbed by your body?

I have one.  It started out as a rather large, hard, red spot.  I was told that it was a pool of fluids (blood, puss and other icky stuff) that would either weep or be absorbed by the body.  I was supposed to call them if it got bigger, got redder or started hurting because it might mean an infection.  Since then, it's gotten smaller and less red (though still tenderish) so I guess my body is dealing with it.  My next check-up is on the 30th, so if it's not totally gone by then I plan to ask about it again.

"We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated." MAngelou
"It's not a miracle cure. It's up to you to lose the weight." Henry,My 600lb Life

susi1662
Jr. Freak

I'm a happy camper!

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 04:55:52 PM »

I had my CT scan today, and lived to tell the tale, lol! I got thru drinking the contrast by sipping it thru a sippy cup, it took almost two hours but I did it.
I didn't know that they also had to put in an IV, and that was no fun. I'm a hard stick as it is, and it didn't help that neither of the radiology techs were no good at putting in IVs. Finally they called in a nuclear medicine nurse (?) and she was kinda Jimmy rig something, but they had to hand inject the stuff in.
They said that the results would be sent to my surgeon within an hour, but I have to wait until next Wednesday for my appt.
So now it's just a waiting game. I'm still hoping for a hematoma, since it's the lesser of the two evils.

susi1662
Jr. Freak

I'm a happy camper!

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 04:51:37 PM »

So I had my CT scan on Wednesday. Having been so anxious about this thing, I called the nurse to see if it was anything serious. Good news! It isn't a hernia! She read part of the report to me, and I caught the words superficial, lesion and post operative.
I won't know what it is until Tuesday when I see the doc, but at least I know I don't have to have another surgery. At least I don't think so! I just want to know what it is, how it will be resolved, when it will go away and when it will stop hurting.

Indykitty
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 12/15/2008

I'm going to be a diamond, some day...

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 07:44:24 AM »

All healed up now?

Keilah (sounds like Sheila)<br /><br />High 322, Low so far 162.8<br /><br />

Keilah Kay (Sells) Folkertsma on Facebook
HopenToBeThin
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: Pouch Date 6/15/09

We lost 246 in 9 mths - 3/13/10

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 07:58:51 AM »

Glad it sounds like it will not require another procedure.

Paula
ttowe
BTV Hostess and Future star of Chihuahua Hoarders / Licked to Death by cuteness
Administrator
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: July 4, 2004

BTV Bling

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 08:01:18 AM »

So glad you are doing better Susi.

It was great to see you last weekend.

Toni

Hello..  My name is Toni.. And I am a chihuahua addict.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: