BariatricTV ForumFor Upcoming EpisodesFoody or Not?The Opposite of The Joy of Cooking
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Opposite of The Joy of Cooking  (Read 8782 times)
Jabba2Halle
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 3/3/11
Surgery Type: VSG

Jabba no more.

« on: April 13, 2011, 10:29:22 AM »

I used to love to cook, but now... not so much.  I've always cooked to taste (my old fat taste, not my new skinny taste) but now by the time I season food to my liking, I'm full.  Plus, I never used to count "tasting" calories, but now I have to count it all.  Takes the fun out of it for me.

Maybe, this is all still too new to me.  I'm hoping one day to regain the joy, but right now I'm just doing the basics... baking fish, broiling chicken, nuking frozen veggies, yada, yada, yada.

Did any of you who have been at this a while go through this phase?  And, how long did it take you to rediscover the joy of cooking, if you did at all?

"We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated." MAngelou
"It's not a miracle cure. It's up to you to lose the weight." Henry,My 600lb Life

David Schronce
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: Dec 6, 2010
Surgery Type: RNY

Bariatric Food Dude

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:42:25 AM »

I love to cook, but now it's not so much for my own tastes, but the look of delight in my wife's eyes when she takes that first bite.  Like you, I have to be careful with how much "tasting" I do, as I end up full before the meal is served!  Makes it especially tough when I'm working out a new recipe.  I'm trying to develop a MIAM based bread pudding but I can't taste it enough times yet to get all the ingredients balanced "just so" before I'm completely stuffed!

Start with the flavors you already know, then add only one or 2 new things to a recipe at a time - that keeps the tasting to a minimum and the enjoyment and the discovery factors high.  And posting your new discoveries over in the Food and Stuff section is fun to share!

g'luck!!

---dave---

HopenToBeThin
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: Pouch Date 6/15/09

We lost 246 in 9 mths - 3/13/10

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:36:05 PM »

I have always loved cooking but was a true "southern" cook.  Full of everything, fat, calories, cream . . .think Paula Deen, lol.  I really did not like to cook anymore after surgery but have started getting back into it in the last few months.  It is becoming a challenge to tweak the ingredients to make the dishes more healthy but still yummy.  If you loved to cook before, it will come back because eventually you get so bored with the same ole stuff that you just can't help yourself. And all the great ideas from the folks already trying things really helps.  I am having to relearn a few things, but I am having fun.

Paula
T2Nashville
Queen of the Kitchen Freak
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: October 13, 2008

Photo by Candy

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 12:39:30 PM »

Halle - what Paula said! It was that way for me early on, but as I was able to eat a better variety of foods, it became a challenge to "tweak" a recipe so that I could eat it. There's not much that's denied me now - but I just have to take fat, calories, and sugar from it. It can be done with the right ingredients! (And actually, I use fat in a conscientious way - because butter is low carb, you know - LOL!)

"The body vs. the mind - now THAT'S a fight!" Hetty from NCIS: Los Angeles

auntb
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 8-25-09
Surgery Type: rny

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 12:42:42 PM »

Love to cook but it wasn't until I was about 6months out until I started to enjoy it again. Just take it slow.

If of the many truths you choose but one and follow it blindly it will become a falsehood and you a fanatic.
MacMadame
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 09/24/08

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 01:30:39 PM »

I never was much of a cook but I went through a period of cooking when I was early out. I think it was because I couldn't eat so I got joy from getting others to eat.
2bthinagain
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 03-18-11

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »

I used to love to cook when I was thin and then I gained a ton of weight and had a difficult time standing. Once I lose some of this weight I'm sure it will come back to me.  Can't wait.

Vickie
Jabba2Halle
Grand Poohbah of Freaks

Jabba no more.

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »

Good to know at some point I'll be able to get my head back in the game.

Oh... and thanks T2Nashville for calling me Halle instead of the other name.  Wink
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:23:35 PM by Jabba2Halle » Logged

"It's not a miracle cure. It's up to you to lose the weight." Henry,My 600lb Life

kristi-bisti
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: Nov 18, 2009
Surgery Type: Lap RNY

Feeling Great!

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »

I can't remember really early out, but I'm pretty sure I could barely handle more than a few minutes in the kitchen at a time.  Then, once things calmed down a bit, I couldn't spend enough time cooking and baking.  I still find that if I don't spend some time in the kitchen at least once a week, I get the jitters!  For me, it's actually a stress relief to do some baking (Especially when my husband cleans up for me!!!)

so, Halle, I do think you will get your groove back.  But maybe your groove will be something new that you aren't expecting!

Jabba2Halle
Grand Poohbah of Freaks

Jabba no more.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 09:22:28 PM »

so, Halle, I do think you will get your groove back.  But maybe your groove will be something new that you aren't expecting!

I'm sure I will.  It may just take some time.  I'm sure my taste buds are changing anyway.  My husband made some chili last week and usually I'd be drooling, but the smell was actually making me sick.  Maybe plain and simple is what I need right now.  I'll probably jump back into cooking once meal boredom sets in.

auntb
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 8-25-09
Surgery Type: rny

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 01:07:13 AM »

you are so new out that smells are a very tricky. For about 4 months out the smell of pizza made me really sick. It took me that long to figure out that it was not the pizza but the hot cardboard box that was doing it.

If of the many truths you choose but one and follow it blindly it will become a falsehood and you a fanatic.
T2Nashville
Queen of the Kitchen Freak
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: October 13, 2008

Photo by Candy

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 05:36:40 AM »

Kristi - me too! I get the nervous jitters if I don't cook some each week. It's such a great stress reliever, and then I don't have to worry about cooking the rest of the week.

Brandi is also SOOO right! Oooo, I remember the early smells made me so nauseous. Some days, I just couldn't think about eating anything, so I just made sure I stayed hydrated.

Halle - you're welcome! As the caption under your picture says, you are Jabba no more, babe!!

"The body vs. the mind - now THAT'S a fight!" Hetty from NCIS: Los Angeles

kelannsmi69
Super Freak
Surgery Date: 2/7/2011

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 07:56:39 AM »

I'm the same way. My husband always wants me to cook but I tell hime if your not eating what I can eat why should I cook.

Burnett
MC Burnett - the BTV Gangsta - Yo
Royal Freakness
Surgery Date: 1/11/2010

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 12:47:35 PM »

I have loved to cook ever since I can remember. I used to cook eggs for breakfast for the family when I was a kid and I couldn't even eat them because I was allergic. When I first started seeing my NUT for pre-op requirements I told her, "I love everything about food. I love shopping for it, cooking it, eating it and, hell, I even watch it on TV."

After the operation, I couldn't care less about cooking, mostly because I couldn't eat much of anything. But after a while it all came back. I enjoy cooking again and am learning new dishes and methods of cooking since I am now freakified. I can't eat like I used to (thank God) but that love for creating something delicious is back! I keep thinking if I can only eat a small amount, I want to pack as much flavor as I can into it. Matter of fact, I am making David Schronce's Panchetta Wrapped Pork Tenderloin as I write this. Gotta go pop it in the oven now!

Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour!
Jabba2Halle
Grand Poohbah of Freaks

Jabba no more.

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 09:35:22 PM »

After the operation, I couldn't care less about cooking, mostly because I couldn't eat much of anything. But after a while it all came back.

I know my husband will be glad to hear that.  Smiley

Maddie
Grand Poohbah of Freaks

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 11:25:32 AM »

I actually grew up learning to cook anything I could.  I took a rest. job (nice place) just to learn more secrets.  I was always the family meal planner and head chef.  Everyone loved to come to our house for a meal.  I LOVED it.

Since surgery, pfftt.  I have a real hard time making myself get motivated knowing I'll only eat a few bites at most.  I didn't just love cooking, it was the whole experience.  Shopping for the perfect ingredients, etc. and of course I loved eating what I had prepared. 

Now that I can't really enjoy the meal, it's lost it's luster.

I feel bad that I don't still do that for the family.  But, I just don't enjoy it now.

I honestly hope my passion comes back, the way Burnett's has. 
trimoon
Don't S#@!$ The Bed, Tim!
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 5/31/2010

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 03:26:09 PM »

I have always loved to cook and was pretty much a recipe follower.  Now, I find myself making stuff up more and more since  that way I can make it in small enough portions to serve just 2 freaks and a munchkin.  I enjoy experimenting more than I used to.

Beth

kristopia
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: July 21, 2009, Dr. Armando Joya

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 11:55:18 AM »

I love to cook, and one of the ways I've "translated" since surgery is taking recipes and tweaking them to fit my way of eating.  Now that I'm in a relationship, I love cooking for him, too, and trying new recipes out on him.  He's eating my way in solidarity, which is great, so I can try out all sorts of good, low-carb recipes out on him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway."  John Wayne
asj762668
Super Freak
Surgery Date: cde847
Surgery Type: rst196

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 10:44:02 AM »

Columbia Mens Titanium Surprise Trooper Coat,moncler outlet online
Be it natural powder reducing within the Bridger Dish backcountry or even directly coating chutes to have an target audience below Squaw's notorious KT22,moncler outlet online, the actual mens Surprise Trooper Coat usually appears to generate a few interest. It is gently protected as well as equipped with this sophisticated Omni Technology technologies with regard to best water-resistant breathability. The actual Trooper additionally includes a delicate however spectacular gradient diminish printing used via a gruelingly specialized coloring in order to document in order to material move procedure. Along with reduced attic 60g Microtemp padding closing away the actual chilly without having an excessive amount of mass,moncler vest women, this particular layer is ideal for fast outdoor hikes in order to decrease within areas,cheap moncler coats, dodging trees and shrubs,moncler outlet, along with other higher octane actions. The actual flexible surprise cover zips away with regard to simple personalization. Easy back again powderskirt retains clean snowfall about the correct aspect of the clothing; the exterior; after which button snaps towards the jacket's coating to remain taken care of upon individuals dried out times. This really is their 2nd Columbia coat. He is experienced their aged 1 with regard to 8 many years. He or she as well as their sibling is only going to put on Columbia. I've anxiously waited two months to determine exactly how he'd enjoy it prior to critiquing this because he's really specific. It has been a genuine chilly winter season right here as well as daily he or she marvels from just how much he or she enjoys their brand new coat. He or she states this retains him or her comfortable however it isn't overweight or even too much time. He is able to end up being energetic inside it also it does not tighten him or her. He or she enjoys this as well as might suggest this.
相关的主题文章:

http://www.magicxy.com/home.php?mod=space&uid=41773&do=blog&quickforward=1&id=13259

http://www.avaa6.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2702&pid=1663295&page=1&extra=page=1#pid1663295
asj762668
Super Freak
Surgery Date: cde847
Surgery Type: rst196

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 06:13:35 AM »

水晶市场暗藏三大猫腻 打二折还能再翻倍赚
日前,读者小周向记者反映,自己两个星期前花了三百多元在小店购买的水晶手链“脱皮”了。小周回忆,上个星期不小心磕了手链一下,开始没怎么在意,但是过了两天,一层塑料质地的外壳脱落了下来,青金石水晶手链,这令小周非常气愤,找到商家退货,商家却以“并没有说是天然水晶”的理由推脱。无奈之下小周找到了记者,希望了解水晶的辨别方法和价格,记者随即展开了暗访小市场
换个名字就变水晶
记者在西单明珠市场看到,小饰品柜台占了市场一层的三分之一,其中不乏水晶饰品。一个不足平方米专卖水晶的摊位前围着八九位正在选购的年轻人,招牌上“天然水晶”四个大字十分醒目。但是记者发现,该摊位上部分“水晶”饰品的材质标注为“天然水晶月光石”。国家珠宝玉石质量监督检验中心宣传与外联部的专家说,月光石和水晶根本不是一回事,从专业角度来讲,天然月光石属于长石,无论是成分还是结构都与水晶不同,“天然水晶月光石”的标注完全是商家混淆视听该专家还表示,给月光石冠上天然水晶的名字可能是商家的“促销手段”,其实月光石的价格并不一定低于水晶,也许由于月光石这种石材不被消费者所熟悉,商家就借天然水晶的知名度来为月光石提升人气大商场
标价三折还可还价
王府井某商场中的水晶柜台中多以水晶手链饰品为主,不少手链标价动辄几千上万元。见记者好像看上了一串标价元的“绿幽灵”手链,导购小姐立刻表示现在柜台的水晶在搞特价活动,所有水晶饰品按照标价的三折即可购买,这串手链打折后元。看到记者仍不动心,导购再次劝说:“要不我把零头给你抹了,四千一,你看怎么样?现在特价,平时这价钱我们都赔本的。”记者见还有还价的余地,问导购元能不能卖。没想到导购马上痛快地答应了,并从柜台中拿出手链为记者讲解:“这条绿幽灵珠子这么大,毫米的。你看成色多好,珠子的一半是透明的,另一半是绿色的'聚宝盆',这样的最值钱了,还有招财的功能。”记者推说珠子上有瑕疵离开了柜台批发市场
抖开水晶市场三大猫腻
业内人士透露,北京多数销售水晶的商家都是从潘家园旧货市场进货的,而且进货的时间多为清晨。为了一探水晶价格的究竟,昨天记者一大早就来到了潘家园旧货市场,但是这里人来人往已经非常热闹了。记者也通过一系列的探访打探到了一些关于水晶价格和进货渠道的猫腻猫腻之一
水晶珠子按克卖
记者进入其中一家商户,发现来批发水晶的人并不算多,店主开玩笑地说:“礼拜一,买卖稀。”他说周末凌晨四点多就营业,进货的都上得差不多了,加上这两天天气不好,也就没什么客人。记者注意到,这里很多水晶珠子都是穿成长串卖的,也有的是放在塑料盒里甩卖。记者边看货边与店主攀谈起来,正巧看到与商场中绿幽灵大小相似的一串手链,随口问了下店主价钱。店主说:“这个无论零售还是批发,我们都是按克卖的,这一串大概两千多块钱吧。”店主表示,石榴石手链,这串手链成色比较好,价钱算是绿幽灵里最高的,看记者有些怀疑,他又说:“我不靠零售赚钱,所以也不会为这么条手链骗你。如果你要成色差一些的,我这也有,绿幽灵的批发价从几块到多块一克都有。”记者询问其他水晶的价格,店主说便宜的有两三块钱一克,贵的像钛金的珠子,要块钱一克。一般来说,一条水晶手链大概几十克,多克的珠子就已经相当大了,市面上不是很多。按照店主所说的批发价,石榴石民族风手链,一般年轻人佩戴的水晶手链,最贵也不过元左右。值得注意的是,记者离开该店时,一位来批发水晶的商人笑着告诉记者:“你不大批地来拿货,他们是不会跟你报实价的,现在跟你说的价钱可能比他们零售还贵呢!”
猫腻之二
碎水晶论斤卖
记者在另外一家商户前驻足,店主看到记者正在看门口放在塑料盒里的碎水晶,立刻说:“这都是批发的,石榴石纯银手链转运珠,论斤卖,你要零买也行,给你穿成手链,不过那样可就贵了。”店主表示,这些水晶都是成色差的,ss-xy.taobao.com,几十块钱一斤,除了商家批发,也有不少小姑娘来买,自己穿着玩。店主透露,其实商场里有的手链也是这种碎水晶穿成的,一串也卖个几十上百块钱猫腻之三
大小商家都来进货
一位店主不无自豪地向记者介绍,西单还有街面上卖水晶的小店都是从他们这里进货,就连大商场的水晶柜台都是来他们这里上货。“说实话,这一行挺好赚的。你看大商场,他们标的价格特别没谱,上万的很正常,石榴石手链招财猫,几万的都有,因为他们还要打折的嘛!一般来说商场珠宝柜台都是两三折,不标高点他们赚什么啊!不过就算打了两三折,他们也还是翻着倍地赚。”
专家保证
质量最好有证书
国家珠宝玉石质量监督检验中心宣传与外联部的专家表示,真假水晶消费者很难用肉眼辨别。而提到网上所说的利用水晶的特性看头发丝是否有重影的辨别方法,专家称一般的水晶饰品是根本看不出来这个重影的。这种方法只适用于有一定大小的水晶球上,还需要一边转动才能看到。其他鉴别方法也难以鉴别出水晶的真伪专家建议,消费者购买水晶饰品的时候,最好选择有信誉的大商场和品牌。购买比较贵重的水晶制品,最好有珠宝玉石质量监督检验中心出具的宝石鉴定证书鉴别真假水晶的小招数
比重:重量太轻的值得怀疑,同样的体积,玻璃、塑胶、压颗粒等仿造品的重量要轻得多折射率:把水晶放在光线较暗的地方,天然水晶的色泽依旧,会很亮,相比起来假货的色泽就会比较暗。
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: