BariatricTV ForumFor Upcoming EpisodesFoody or Not?The Opposite of The Joy of Cooking
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Opposite of The Joy of Cooking  (Read 6226 times)
Jabba2Halle
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 3/3/11
Surgery Type: VSG

Jabba no more.

« on: April 13, 2011, 10:29:22 AM »

I used to love to cook, but now... not so much.  I've always cooked to taste (my old fat taste, not my new skinny taste) but now by the time I season food to my liking, I'm full.  Plus, I never used to count "tasting" calories, but now I have to count it all.  Takes the fun out of it for me.

Maybe, this is all still too new to me.  I'm hoping one day to regain the joy, but right now I'm just doing the basics... baking fish, broiling chicken, nuking frozen veggies, yada, yada, yada.

Did any of you who have been at this a while go through this phase?  And, how long did it take you to rediscover the joy of cooking, if you did at all?

"We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated." MAngelou
"It's not a miracle cure. It's up to you to lose the weight." Henry,My 600lb Life

David Schronce
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: Dec 6, 2010
Surgery Type: RNY

Bariatric Food Dude

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:42:25 AM »

I love to cook, but now it's not so much for my own tastes, but the look of delight in my wife's eyes when she takes that first bite.  Like you, I have to be careful with how much "tasting" I do, as I end up full before the meal is served!  Makes it especially tough when I'm working out a new recipe.  I'm trying to develop a MIAM based bread pudding but I can't taste it enough times yet to get all the ingredients balanced "just so" before I'm completely stuffed!

Start with the flavors you already know, then add only one or 2 new things to a recipe at a time - that keeps the tasting to a minimum and the enjoyment and the discovery factors high.  And posting your new discoveries over in the Food and Stuff section is fun to share!

g'luck!!

---dave---

HopenToBeThin
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: Pouch Date 6/15/09

We lost 246 in 9 mths - 3/13/10

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:36:05 PM »

I have always loved cooking but was a true "southern" cook.  Full of everything, fat, calories, cream . . .think Paula Deen, lol.  I really did not like to cook anymore after surgery but have started getting back into it in the last few months.  It is becoming a challenge to tweak the ingredients to make the dishes more healthy but still yummy.  If you loved to cook before, it will come back because eventually you get so bored with the same ole stuff that you just can't help yourself. And all the great ideas from the folks already trying things really helps.  I am having to relearn a few things, but I am having fun.

Paula
T2Nashville
Queen of the Kitchen Freak
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: October 13, 2008

Photo by Candy

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 12:39:30 PM »

Halle - what Paula said! It was that way for me early on, but as I was able to eat a better variety of foods, it became a challenge to "tweak" a recipe so that I could eat it. There's not much that's denied me now - but I just have to take fat, calories, and sugar from it. It can be done with the right ingredients! (And actually, I use fat in a conscientious way - because butter is low carb, you know - LOL!)

"The body vs. the mind - now THAT'S a fight!" Hetty from NCIS: Los Angeles

auntb
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 8-25-09
Surgery Type: rny

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 12:42:42 PM »

Love to cook but it wasn't until I was about 6months out until I started to enjoy it again. Just take it slow.

If of the many truths you choose but one and follow it blindly it will become a falsehood and you a fanatic.
MacMadame
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 09/24/08

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 01:30:39 PM »

I never was much of a cook but I went through a period of cooking when I was early out. I think it was because I couldn't eat so I got joy from getting others to eat.
2bthinagain
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 03-18-11

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »

I used to love to cook when I was thin and then I gained a ton of weight and had a difficult time standing. Once I lose some of this weight I'm sure it will come back to me.  Can't wait.

Vickie
Jabba2Halle
Grand Poohbah of Freaks

Jabba no more.

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »

Good to know at some point I'll be able to get my head back in the game.

Oh... and thanks T2Nashville for calling me Halle instead of the other name.  Wink
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:23:35 PM by Jabba2Halle » Logged

"It's not a miracle cure. It's up to you to lose the weight." Henry,My 600lb Life

kristi-bisti
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: Nov 18, 2009
Surgery Type: Lap RNY

Feeling Great!

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »

I can't remember really early out, but I'm pretty sure I could barely handle more than a few minutes in the kitchen at a time.  Then, once things calmed down a bit, I couldn't spend enough time cooking and baking.  I still find that if I don't spend some time in the kitchen at least once a week, I get the jitters!  For me, it's actually a stress relief to do some baking (Especially when my husband cleans up for me!!!)

so, Halle, I do think you will get your groove back.  But maybe your groove will be something new that you aren't expecting!

Jabba2Halle
Grand Poohbah of Freaks

Jabba no more.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 09:22:28 PM »

so, Halle, I do think you will get your groove back.  But maybe your groove will be something new that you aren't expecting!

I'm sure I will.  It may just take some time.  I'm sure my taste buds are changing anyway.  My husband made some chili last week and usually I'd be drooling, but the smell was actually making me sick.  Maybe plain and simple is what I need right now.  I'll probably jump back into cooking once meal boredom sets in.

auntb
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 8-25-09
Surgery Type: rny

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 01:07:13 AM »

you are so new out that smells are a very tricky. For about 4 months out the smell of pizza made me really sick. It took me that long to figure out that it was not the pizza but the hot cardboard box that was doing it.

If of the many truths you choose but one and follow it blindly it will become a falsehood and you a fanatic.
T2Nashville
Queen of the Kitchen Freak
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: October 13, 2008

Photo by Candy

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 05:36:40 AM »

Kristi - me too! I get the nervous jitters if I don't cook some each week. It's such a great stress reliever, and then I don't have to worry about cooking the rest of the week.

Brandi is also SOOO right! Oooo, I remember the early smells made me so nauseous. Some days, I just couldn't think about eating anything, so I just made sure I stayed hydrated.

Halle - you're welcome! As the caption under your picture says, you are Jabba no more, babe!!

"The body vs. the mind - now THAT'S a fight!" Hetty from NCIS: Los Angeles

kelannsmi69
Super Freak
Surgery Date: 2/7/2011

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 07:56:39 AM »

I'm the same way. My husband always wants me to cook but I tell hime if your not eating what I can eat why should I cook.

Burnett
MC Burnett - the BTV Gangsta - Yo
Royal Freakness
Surgery Date: 1/11/2010

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 12:47:35 PM »

I have loved to cook ever since I can remember. I used to cook eggs for breakfast for the family when I was a kid and I couldn't even eat them because I was allergic. When I first started seeing my NUT for pre-op requirements I told her, "I love everything about food. I love shopping for it, cooking it, eating it and, hell, I even watch it on TV."

After the operation, I couldn't care less about cooking, mostly because I couldn't eat much of anything. But after a while it all came back. I enjoy cooking again and am learning new dishes and methods of cooking since I am now freakified. I can't eat like I used to (thank God) but that love for creating something delicious is back! I keep thinking if I can only eat a small amount, I want to pack as much flavor as I can into it. Matter of fact, I am making David Schronce's Panchetta Wrapped Pork Tenderloin as I write this. Gotta go pop it in the oven now!

Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour!
Jabba2Halle
Grand Poohbah of Freaks

Jabba no more.

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 09:35:22 PM »

After the operation, I couldn't care less about cooking, mostly because I couldn't eat much of anything. But after a while it all came back.

I know my husband will be glad to hear that.  Smiley

Maddie
Grand Poohbah of Freaks

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 11:25:32 AM »

I actually grew up learning to cook anything I could.  I took a rest. job (nice place) just to learn more secrets.  I was always the family meal planner and head chef.  Everyone loved to come to our house for a meal.  I LOVED it.

Since surgery, pfftt.  I have a real hard time making myself get motivated knowing I'll only eat a few bites at most.  I didn't just love cooking, it was the whole experience.  Shopping for the perfect ingredients, etc. and of course I loved eating what I had prepared. 

Now that I can't really enjoy the meal, it's lost it's luster.

I feel bad that I don't still do that for the family.  But, I just don't enjoy it now.

I honestly hope my passion comes back, the way Burnett's has. 
trimoon
Don't S#@!$ The Bed, Tim!
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 5/31/2010

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 03:26:09 PM »

I have always loved to cook and was pretty much a recipe follower.  Now, I find myself making stuff up more and more since  that way I can make it in small enough portions to serve just 2 freaks and a munchkin.  I enjoy experimenting more than I used to.

Beth

kristopia
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: July 21, 2009, Dr. Armando Joya

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 11:55:18 AM »

I love to cook, and one of the ways I've "translated" since surgery is taking recipes and tweaking them to fit my way of eating.  Now that I'm in a relationship, I love cooking for him, too, and trying new recipes out on him.  He's eating my way in solidarity, which is great, so I can try out all sorts of good, low-carb recipes out on him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway."  John Wayne
asj762668
Jr. Freak
Surgery Date: cde847
Surgery Type: rst196

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 10:44:02 AM »

Columbia Mens Titanium Surprise Trooper Coat,moncler outlet online
Be it natural powder reducing within the Bridger Dish backcountry or even directly coating chutes to have an target audience below Squaw's notorious KT22,moncler outlet online, the actual mens Surprise Trooper Coat usually appears to generate a few interest. It is gently protected as well as equipped with this sophisticated Omni Technology technologies with regard to best water-resistant breathability. The actual Trooper additionally includes a delicate however spectacular gradient diminish printing used via a gruelingly specialized coloring in order to document in order to material move procedure. Along with reduced attic 60g Microtemp padding closing away the actual chilly without having an excessive amount of mass,moncler vest women, this particular layer is ideal for fast outdoor hikes in order to decrease within areas,cheap moncler coats, dodging trees and shrubs,moncler outlet, along with other higher octane actions. The actual flexible surprise cover zips away with regard to simple personalization. Easy back again powderskirt retains clean snowfall about the correct aspect of the clothing; the exterior; after which button snaps towards the jacket's coating to remain taken care of upon individuals dried out times. This really is their 2nd Columbia coat. He is experienced their aged 1 with regard to 8 many years. He or she as well as their sibling is only going to put on Columbia. I've anxiously waited two months to determine exactly how he'd enjoy it prior to critiquing this because he's really specific. It has been a genuine chilly winter season right here as well as daily he or she marvels from just how much he or she enjoys their brand new coat. He or she states this retains him or her comfortable however it isn't overweight or even too much time. He is able to end up being energetic inside it also it does not tighten him or her. He or she enjoys this as well as might suggest this.
相关的主题文章:

http://www.magicxy.com/home.php?mod=space&uid=41773&do=blog&quickforward=1&id=13259

http://www.avaa6.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2702&pid=1663295&page=1&extra=page=1#pid1663295
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: