BariatricTV ForumGeneral WLS InformationDSDecided to fight for a DS
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Decided to fight for a DS  (Read 1274 times)
AmberInSweden
Fresh Freak
Surgery Date: November 9, 2011
Surgery Type: RNY

« on: April 29, 2011, 07:15:50 AM »

I was all set for a fall RNY, but where I had been completely comfortable with my decision before, recently I wasn't so sure.  It got to the point that I dreamed two nights in a row that I was begging my doctor to keep my pyloric valve functional.  lol  On the third night, I just couldn't sleep.  I jumped out of bed, too to the web and read for a couple of hours.  I ended up emailing my doctor to see what it would take for me to change from RNY to a DS.  That was in the wee hours Thursday morning.  Now I am just waiting...  bah! 

I haven't felt this good about a decision since I decided to pursue WLS.   I am just hoping there aren't some weird Swedish roadblocks that will keep me from getting it.  I already know my follow up responsibility is going to fall to me.  There is a great surgeon at my hospital, but their information for follow up care isn't as extensive as it should be.   I am going to have to become a walking DS encyclopedia, but I think it will be worth it in the long run. 

Anyway...  Hey!  Grin 

Amber's Blog!
SW: 349/158.6     DoS: 300/136.1      Goal: 168/76.4
HopenToBeThin
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: Pouch Date 6/15/09

We lost 246 in 9 mths - 3/13/10

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 10:17:06 AM »

Wishing you the best, my insurance would not cover the DS so I have an RNY.

Paula
shepkatt
Honey Badger don't give a sh*t
Administrator
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 11/17/2003

WLS ain't for wussies

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 02:23:17 PM »

Gotta make the best decision for you!  The DS requires diligent supplementation after the surgery so make sure you do your research on that as well.. Do not just take what you are given..  Too many years of that in the US with Flinstones and Tums..  Look into what vitamins will work best for your new altered anatomy and then get those..  Good luck!  I hope you get good news soon!

I enjoy fine chocolate.. cheese and being on time.  I am Switzerland!
AmberInSweden
Fresh Freak
Surgery Date: November 9, 2011

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 07:42:18 AM »

Thank you so much!  I hope so, too.  If I can't get it, I don't feel as if I will be settling, just adjusting to a different set of rules.  My wife's a nurse and nutrition junkie, so we've been reading everything we can get our hands on about dry vs. oil-based vitamins and supplementation I will need.  It looks like I will have to order some stuff from the US or have my parents ship it over.  The doctors here just aren't as knowledgeable about ANY of the WLS.  A friend had an RNY 6 weeks ago and when she got cramps, she called the surgeons office to ask what she could take and they told her ibuprofen.  I am going to be flying solo here regardless of what they tell me I CAN have.   

Amber's Blog!
SW: 349/158.6     DoS: 300/136.1      Goal: 168/76.4
shepkatt
Honey Badger don't give a sh*t
Administrator
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 11/17/2003

WLS ain't for wussies

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 08:08:48 AM »

A friend had an RNY 6 weeks ago and when she got cramps, she called the surgeons office to ask what she could take and they told her ibuprofen.  I am going to be flying solo here regardless of what they tell me I CAN have.   

ACK!  Yep.. definitely check in with folks here or at other sites.. Ibuprofen?  Holy wrong answer, Batman!  You are smart cookie - and your wife will help ya out.. between the two of you gals I am sure you will be well informed and more educated then your surgeon/nutritionist before ya know it!  :-)  At least on the freaky anatomy after surgery care stuff..

I enjoy fine chocolate.. cheese and being on time.  I am Switzerland!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: