BariatricTV ForumMedical StuffComplicationsPlease don't just shrug it off
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Please don't just shrug it off  (Read 1133 times)
Burnett
MC Burnett - the BTV Gangsta - Yo
Royal Freakness
Surgery Date: 1/11/2010
Surgery Type: RNY

« on: June 17, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »

This post is a little long but please read to the end.

You know, since the beginning of the year, I have been having trouble eating. It has been on and off and I just figured it was my fault. I was either eating too much, too fast or not chewing well enough. For a while, it seemed like I would hurt after every meal and when I did, I would blame myself and go in the bathroom and "re-deposit" the meal into the public sewer system. I knew that I shouldn't be doing that and even began to fear that I was becoming bulimic. Really, all I cared about was that it made the pain stop. But it did upset my pouch for the next day or two. So you could see how it could become a self-perpetuating problem.

Beginning back in January and again in April, my blood tests began to show some high liver enzymes. I had an abdominal ultra-sound with no results. I started feeling really sick and it would come and go very quickly. One minute I'm fine and the next I feel like I have the full blown flu, including fever and chills, body aches, etc. The chills were the worst. I would shake almost uncontrollably, teeth chattering like I was standing naked at the North Pole.

Last month, I had another abdominal ultra-sound and it showed sludge in my gall bladder. My PCP suggested I go see my surgeon. I'm glad one of us was thinking. When I went to the surgeon, he told me that he would remove the gall bladder and explore the common bile duct to check for stones. That surgery happened on June 3rd. I woke up in considerable pain with 2 drains coming out of my abdomen. One was a drain hooked into the bile duct and the other in my abdominal cavity. The surgeon worked on me for 5 hours and told me later that he had removed a marble sized gallstone from the bile duct. I came home from the hospital on the 6th and began to search online for stones in the bile duct. This is what I found out:

What happens when gallstones leave the gallbladder and get into the bile duct?
This makes the problem of gallstones much more complicated for your doctor and can increase the severity of symptoms that the patient experiences. These stones can either partially or completely block the flow of bile from the liver into the intestine, and:
What happens when gallstones leave the gallbladder and get into the bile duct?
If the flow of bile is blocked, the potential for a serious and severe infection known as Cholangitis (infection of the bile ducts) is very high. This problem can be life-threatening Shocked and should be treated immediately. Symptoms include: shaking chills, high fever, severe abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and jaundice (turning yellow). These stones can also cause damage to the pancreas.

When my wife told the surgeon about my eating troubles and vomiting episodes, he asked me why I didn't tell him. I told him that I thought it was my fault for the reasons above. He told me, "A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, my friend". He was right. I should have been communicating with him long before my PCP recommended it. I say all that to tell you this...take it from me, especially you post-op newbies...talk to your doctor about everything. Even if you think it may be trivial or your fault that something is not going right. Don't just shrug it off and let things linger. You could be doing more damage than you know and could cause yourself some serious health problems.

The good news is I've been checked out and everything seems to be ok now. The drains were removed yesterday and I start back to work on Monday (only light duty). Guess it's time to catch up on my paperwork.

Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour!
ttowe
BTV Hostess and Future star of Chihuahua Hoarders / Licked to Death by cuteness
Administrator
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: July 4, 2004

BTV Bling

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 03:15:47 AM »

Wow...thanks for sharing this.  You are so right. While this surgery changes your anatomy, daily nasea and vomitting are NOT normal and needs to be addressed immediately. Pain from eating isn't normal as well.

Good thing you finally addressed it. Gall bladder issues after surgery is quite common so if someone is in pain, this needs to be checked out.

Hello..  My name is Toni.. And I am a chihuahua addict.
Indykitty
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 12/15/2008

I'm going to be a diamond, some day...

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 05:00:37 AM »

Burnett, I'm so glad you are okay! Scary!!!!

Keilah (sounds like Sheila)<br /><br />High 322, Low so far 162.8<br /><br />

Keilah Kay (Sells) Folkertsma on Facebook
T2Nashville
Queen of the Kitchen Freak
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: October 13, 2008
Surgery Type: VSG

Photo by Candy

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 06:00:22 AM »

Such a great post with great information, Burnett. Very glad that you are safe, healthy, and doing better!

"The body vs. the mind - now THAT'S a fight!" Hetty from NCIS: Los Angeles

2bthinagain
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 03-18-11

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 06:54:53 PM »

Thanks Burnett, that is good to know.
So happy to hear that you are doing better.

Vickie
Atomickitten613
Fresh Freak
Surgery Date: January 29 2010

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:29:02 PM »

yes i have to agreed do not ignore signs once your gall bladder goes, your liver is next ,then your pancreas! and your tummy is raw from all the puking and high levels of acid being back up into it!! NOT NICE!

I almost died! last year due to gall bladder issues and it took a Rookie Intern to figure  what my issue was!!

if you  do not have your gall bladder removed and showing those symptoms get an ultra sound done STAT!

I had zero levels in everything and i couldn't even swallow my own saliva!! at one point!

trust me B vitamins are  NOT! something you ever want to be low in!!

IT IS PAINFUL and YOU will have to learn how to walk again!! and i do have some permanent nerve damage! electric shocks!   i feel little tiny tiny shocks in my finger tips and toes they hurt! tramadol  helps me with my herniated disc and  keeps those under control!  

How ya doing now?? Burnette I hope you are well  having gall bladder issues is something i don't even wish on my worst enemy!! very painful!! so i hope you are doing well now!!

I know as soon as that nasty thing was removed  my body did a complete 180 health wise and i have never looked back!!! my one year anniversary was awesome and all my levels were up and NORMAL! WHEW!

ONCE again never ignore signs tell everything!! Burnette is so right!! about this!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:31:56 PM by Atomickitten613 » Logged

"WLS is a journey, not a destination (don't get comfortable) ... it's a road that we must travel daily to succeed"
Faith Thomas
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: