BariatricTV ForumGeneral WLS InformationGeneral DiscussionWeight loss vs Shrinkles
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Weight loss vs Shrinkles  (Read 517 times)
trishansen
Super Freak
Surgery Date: Sept 6, 2011
Surgery Type: RNY - Dr. Samaad Malik, Victoria, BC

« on: March 03, 2012, 09:00:23 PM »

Just struggling this week with an issue I didn't expect for at least another 6 months or goal weight :-)

I've lost 93 lbs in total since Sept 2010 (surgery Sept 2011)I'm down to size 14 pants, medium or large tops. I no longer have any co-morbidities. I'm being told by men that I'm hot (funny couple of stories there!) I've found joy in being active again and am becoming addicted to hot yoga.

So what could possibly be wrong? 

I'm not happy with my "shrinkles" and bat wings! Its to a point that I've been looking at plastic surgery websites even though I KNOW it's only been 6 months since surgery, and while my weight isn't coming off that quickly anymore, it's still not stabilized and I'm not done loosing all the weight I want to. Never mind I would have to self pay, and have no spare cash for that anytime soon.

My mind is struggling with staying at the weight I am and not getting anymore wrinkly/saggy and I find bad eating habits/urges are creeping back in - self sabotage for the weight loss, but self preservation for body image.

Any suggestion, or stories on how to move on and embrace greater weight loss (30 lbs till goal), or should self acceptance be my focus, and be happy at the weight I am, with the way I look now?

HW 277 / SW 231 / CW 179 -up from lowest 173!/ GW 155
(5'6")
patti55444
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 12/09/08
Surgery Type: Lap RNY

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 10:36:30 PM »

Some of those shrinkles will smooth out after a while. It is way too soon to fret over them, talk yourself out of that! You know you can.

Hugs,
Patti

Worry doesn't solve tomorrow's problems, but it does ruin today's happiness
MacMadame
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 09/24/08
Surgery Type: VSG

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:48:22 PM »

When we lose weight fast, our skin can't shrink that fast. But it does eventually catch up. So even if you get to goal, your skin will still shrink until it's shrunk to the limit of what it can. Also, once we get to goal, our fat tends to redistribute. So once that whole process is over, that's when you can access the real damage and know if PS is warranted.

Though there's no harm in starting to save for it now.  Grin
lesliethequeen
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: September 19, 2011
Surgery Type: Roux-N-Y

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 12:08:51 AM »

I always thought that if I could ever lose the weight my face would hang around my neck like a stretched out scarf...sadly, I was right...

BUT, the crazy thing is, the more weight I lose, the better it looks. I thought it would be the other way around. Yes, I have sag where I didn't before, but you can also see my eyes much better and I have a waist again even though I am still working on the flat stomach I had in college (Definate PS possibilities there!)

I guess what I'm saying is that it is a process and you are no where near done with that process. I am just a bit after you - surgery on the 19th of Sept, 2011 - and I'm a lot older than you, so there is more sagging in store...try to enjoy the changes that you like and ignore the changes you hate..there will be plenty of time for the pondering of plastics in the future.

And start saving! That stuff's crazy expensive!  Grin

Starting Weight:307
Current Weight: 180.0

Everything you want in the world is just right outside your comfort zone, everything...Jamie Le
Barb
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 12-3-09
Surgery Type: RNY

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 07:49:56 AM »

Ive had the same thoughts about my saggy arms & legs. Just like you, at some point I remember thinking, I look pretty good, I should stop losing now before it gets any worse. But as we all know, well stop losing when our body is ready to (about 18 months of the honeymoon period, give or take.) So finding some way to be ok with the new you is definitely priority #1!! Easier said than done is an understatement!

For me, shapewear is my new best friend! As long as Im locked and loaded & look good in my clothes, Im ok with it. My hubby loves me no matter what so the battle is all in my head. Exercise does help but PS may be what youll be looking at down the road. That wont be something I could ever afford so for me - it is what it is. I'll take the new me over the old me any day of the week!!

I just started going to yoga classes last month. Ive heard of hot yoga but Ive never tried it. One of the classes that I took a few weeks ago was with an instructor who also taught aerobics. She liked to combine the 2. (I called it yogaerobics  Grin ) I hurt for 3 or 4 days afterwards!! But the strangest thing was - I liked it!! All that sweating felt pretty good, so I would probably like hot yoga. Keep up the good work!!

I'm a FREAK and proud of it!!

(25 lbs lost presurgery)
Dr_Adventure
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 1/12/12

Taken on 11/17 - cut hair as part of tranformation

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 01:29:02 PM »

This issue is a long way off for me - but I have thought about it (and experienced it with other weight loss) - exercise - is key to building some muscle - which helps support the skin - I'm not saying become ARNOLD - but do some bicep and tricep work - this will firm up the underlying structure - Someone mentioned Yogo - which is great - Pilates is also great for core work - Squats can help build quads, hamstring and gluteus maxims - adding muscle (which is hard to do) also has the benefit of burning more calories and has positive effects on aging (things like supporting bone health) -

trishansen
Super Freak
Surgery Date: Sept 6, 2011
Surgery Type: RNY - Dr. Samaad Malik, Victoria, BC

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:36:58 PM »

Wink thanks for the, ahem "support" lol! I do have some shape wear, and DrAdventure hot yoga is doing wonders for muscle building and definition - I love the heat, sweat and feeling soooo good when the class is over  Grin  Barb - I am so not co-ordinated to even think of yogaerobics! You hit the nail on the head of what I was trying to say - part of me can't believe I would want to stop loosing weight to preserve self image vs health.

So it sounds like there is hope for lessening the Shrinkles with time and re-distribution of fat - but I will have to hang in there for awhile - thanks again for your kind words Patti & MacM

"try to enjoy the changes that you like and ignore the changes you hate"  Leslie - perfect mantra for right now!

Off to find a penny jar  Wink

HW 277 / SW 231 / CW 179 -up from lowest 173!/ GW 155
(5'6")
kikiwants2dance
Super Freak
Surgery Date: 7/12/11

~~Zumba Baby~~

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:30:28 AM »

A fellow RNYer found this bio oil that I have been using on my neck and it really has made a difference...as for my arms I have started taking the Zumba toning classes and it is helping...lot of work this being skinny is...LOVIN EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

kristi-bisti
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: Nov 18, 2009
Surgery Type: Lap RNY

Feeling Great!

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »

I bought bio oil at Costco.  I really liked it maily for the skin hydration.

I agree with Barb.  I never feel sexier than when I am wearing my compression garments.  I have a couple, but definitely need to expand my selection. 

For me, it is really something I want to do, although the risks do concern me.  If something were to happen to me because I was a bit vain...  But that will not happen for the next few years anyway.

You could try and get a referral from your family doc to a plastic surgeon and see if BC Health will pay for some of it as  reconstruction and skin issues.  I even think I saw a couple of clinics in the lower mainland.

But I definitely feel for ya!  I'm right there beside you in this.

Indykitty
Grand Poohbah of Freaks
Surgery Date: 12/15/2008

I'm going to be a diamond, some day...

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 05:30:46 AM »

Yep, I'm a sharpai of shrinkles, but I'm still much better off than I was at 322 pounds. I hope to be able to start saving up in the next year and I've considered applying for a grant.  I still feel pretty fat with my 'skirt' and jiggly huge thighs and floppy arms and breasts. Gotta kind of roll 'em up and tuck 'em in and that's not really a good feel, no matter how good it looks with the nice tight compression tea over the bra.  Still - it really is better to be able to move and still be able to breathe!  Wink Kiss

Keilah (sounds like Sheila)<br /><br />High 322, Low so far 162.8<br /><br />

Keilah Kay (Sells) Folkertsma on Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: