In this week’s episode of BariatricTV we have a Drop Zone Freak who wants to live. In the Dumping Ground segment we discuss some things we learned about insurance coverage for weight loss surgery while in New York. Then, in Altered Reality, we ask if fear is holding you back from surgery. Finally, we wrap things up in the Freak On segment with a review of a new flavor infused salt product that can really spice up your dishes.
- The Drop Zone segment features Maria Canella.
- Bariatric surgery is covered by more than 55% of large employer’s insurance plans, 100% covered by Medicare, and in all but 6 states it’s covered by Medicaid.
- Many people are afraid to look into this coverage.
- The Obesity Action Coalition has put together a great document called “Working With Your Insurance Provider”
- The document will also give you information on how to deal with being denied insurance coverage for weight loss surgery.
- On average it takes a morbidly obese person 2 years to attend a weight loss surgery seminar.
- We think it could be fear that’s keeping people from going.
- Some pre ops may be afraid of the danger involved in having surgery.
- Weight loss surgery is safer than an appendectomy
- You should go to a Bariatric Center of Excellence
- We do a review of a tasty new flavor infused salt product.