Episode 98: OH Houston Conference

Posted by on Nov 11, 2010 in Road Trips

In this week’s episode of BariatricTV we pack up the gear and head to Houston Texas for the Obesity Help Conference. In this first video from there, we talk with some post ops about their life after weight loss surgery, meet a celebrity or two from the bariatric community and see what’s new from the vendors of bariatric products that were at the conference.

HIGHLIGHTS

• We interview Sean who did a stellar job of putting together the clothing exchange at the conference.
  • Lynnda makes a new friend with a lovely VSG post op named Janet
  • We interview chef Dave Fouts about his new “Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook for Dummies”
  • Spend some time chatting with Bariatric Girl, Yvonne McCarthy
  • We ask RNY Post Op Brenda why she came to the conference
  • Lynnda talks with Heather from Celebrate Vitamins about a tasty vanilla cake batter approach to your daily vitamin.
  • Toni loses control of an interview with the Long Island Post Ops
  • Lynnda chats with Susan Maria Leach about a new vitamin offering from BariatricEating.com
  • We chat with Canton WLS Support Group facilitator Terri Black
  • Lynnda talks with RNY post op Susan
  • Toni can now know what flavor Bariatric Advantage Calcium Chewy Bite is in her bowl
  • And we wrap things up with some gorgeous jewelry with a weight loss twist

23 Responses to “Episode 98: OH Houston Conference”

1. baka (Ian) says:

Great stuff Freaks!

Not too sure about that new Vitamin from what I’ve been reading…….. EEEEK!

2. Hi Ian.. I tried the Journey line of vitamins and I liked them. I like their taste and they way the melt to nothingness. As far as the science behind them – feel free to get in contact with Journey Vitamins to see if they can put your mind at ease.

We are all about giving everyone a heads up on new products that are out there. If that product works for you, or not, is why we have so many options to choose from. So you can find the one, or several, that work for you.

3. baka (Ian) says:

Ian

4. Perhaps you should hook the LIPO rappers up with the Lil’ Shan, the famous breakdancer. :) Just sayin’ Loved the video. Looking forward to more!

5. Big Mickey says:

I think that’s a swell idea Shannon. Every rap artist needs a fly girl!

6. I’ve been bugging BA to color code the chews, bout time! heh.

7. baka (Ian) says:

You know this is the 3rd or 4th time I’ve heard Chef Dave and I’m convinced he gargles with battery acid :0

Love the book BTW Dave great read!!

8. Dave has a polyp on his larynx that needs to be removed.. He just needs to find the time to get it done.

Mike – love the Road Trip graphic. Toni and Lynnda are the new Oprah and Gayle!

10. Thank you so much for letting me be part of this. Special thanks too for including Sean who works his behind off and organizes the biggest clothing exchanges known to man! I like the Journey vitamins too.

You guys are awesome and I love love love your stuff. Thank you so much for coming to Houston where everything is bigger in Texas. Can’t wait to see more!
    Yvonne

11. p.s. I’m wearing my BTV t-shirt again!

12. Quote: “The stuff that worries me is the less informed Freaks will not look into this product coming no where near the ASMBS guidelines. I’m all for new products and choice but I want to make sure it meets my FREAKY needs
    Ian”

I can’t even begin to hope to understand the science.. but from what I understand because of the way these vitamins/minerals are absorbed we need less in the vitamins because we absorb more of them.. I am thinking of it like this.. Our docs say we need to absorb 60grams of protein a day.. but because we malabsorb we need to take in 100grams a day to make sure we get that 60. So if the same holds true for vitamins.. we are told to get a certain amount of calcium a day. Lets just use 100 as the number.. So we are told that the minimum to take per day is 150.. That amount would take into consideration the malabsorption.. But if we absorb all 100 grams of the vitamin (again.. just an example) then we have met what we need without having to go over.

That is how I understand it. I am sure I have hosed up the explanation along the way and Susan can ‘splain it better..

I like the taste of the Journey’s.. So I will give em a shot. Seriously.. if you have questions on the science.. go to the website and ask em..

13. Great video guys! Looks like a great time and as usual I’m sure you had a crazy time! Can’t wait till Vegas to spend some face time with ya!

14. great show really good

15. Lynnda – I know, Switzerland. Switzerland. Switzerland.

Once we begin to understand the science (melts my brain to understand it) that is when it becomes CRYSTAL clear. :)

Anyway, you guys did a wonderful job as always, when will we see the marching band? :D

16. Big Mickey says:

Oh don’t you worry, the marching band is definitely in the works. I think I’ll do a blooper reel for the event, we had a few!

Mike

17. I can’t wait to see the marching band, Beth! I want to see the look on everyone’s faces.. that was CLASSIC! Oh.. and the pics from the event?! I love the one of you with that mascot with the cheerleader looking daggers at you from behind. That fuzzy animal must have been her very special friend.. LOL

18. Lynnda – That might be my fave photo – ever. Well, this week. That look is PRICELESS.

19. WORD UP! The rap was AWESOME. And BTW, I play trumpet, so I want in on the marching band. Because I’m a band geek, yo.

20. Oh D, it was awesome.

21. Lynnda I took the time to ask for any independent studies/trials that they could point me to to back up their claims.

All I received for my trouble was several rude comments and my questions removed from their FB page.

Tells me as a consumer all I need to know about how they do treat their customers.

Pretty sad really…….

22. It’s arduous to find educated folks on this topic, but you sound like you already know what you’re speaking about! Thanks

23. Its such as you read my thoughts! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the guide in it or something. I believe that you just can do with a few p.c. to force the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A great read. I’ll certainly be back.